Only one of you has asked me if I think you should get the vaccine for COVID. So perhaps I’m being presumptuous to assume most of you care much about my counsel on this. If that is the case, feel free to stop reading and move on to something more beneficial, like memes on Facebook. 🙂
Before I share some things to consider, here’s the bottom line: the decision is up to you. The Bible doesn’t speak directly to issues like this, so that leaves us with one word: wisdom.
Wisdom is what God used to make the world (Proverbs 3:19). He promises to give it to anyone who asks Him, and give it generously (James 1:5). It often comes through the counsel of multiple godly people (Proverbs 15:22). Let me allow God to describe His wisdom:
Let’s get down to brass tacks. Here’s how to pursue determining whether or not you should get the vaccine, if you’re unsure:
- Tell God how you feel about it. Scared, unsure, confident, concerned, frustrated, etc.
- Ask God to give you wisdom.
- Seek information from credible sources. Remember, godly wisdom is “open to reason.” If the source you’re taking information from is insistent they have it right and that everyone else is a complete numbskull, that should be a red flag. Why are they so insistent on this? If the source seems intent on scaring you into taking it or not taking it, remember, wisdom from above is “peaceable.” Why are they motivating you with fear? Do they have something to gain? Consider not just online sources. I would give more weight to people I actually know who are in that field and who know me personally than I would to something I find online.
- Seek multiple counselors. When it comes to decisions that aren’t black and white in Scripture, the more people that will help you weigh it out, the better. We are all limited in our knowledge. A few more perspectives from godly people will round off your understanding.
- Make a decision and leave the rest to the Lord. God doesn’t want you to be paralyzed about this either before you decide or after. In the long run, you could probably decide either way and be fine. Romans 8:28 is true. He is going to work this out for your good too. If you get the vaccine and have a side effect, that’s okay. The Lord knows what He’s doing. If you decide not to get it and get COVID, Jesus has this. Just make the best decision you can, and leave the rest up to the Lord. Even the challenges that come as a result of our decisions are used by our Father. He’s that good.
I’ll be praying for you, and I love you, church family.